I’m posting two days in a row! That must mean I’m giddy. Or I don’t like Aaron and want to keep his mange away from the blog as long as possible.
I finished the story last night and I have to say that I’m extremely proud of what I turned out. Switching it away from the first person was the right choice as it free me up to tell the story the way it needed to be told. This story features a number of firsts for me, not just in this project, but for all my writing:
– the first time I used WordArt in a story
– the first time the “main” character of the story hardly appears at all
– the first, or at least one of the first times I’ve used the actual physical layout of the story to add to the story
– the first time I noticeably ripped off both Eternal Sunshine and the entire Thursday Next series. I mean borrowed from. I mean was inspired by.
– There are two chunks of over 500 words total without any adjectives. That took me longer to write those two passages than the rest of the piece.
Anyway, I don’t know if it’ll be considered my best story of the year, particularly in this abbreviated month, but I’m pretty happy with the end result. It was a challenge that I took on and I think I succeeded.